an 'ordinarily extraordinary' blanket how to...

before we begin i must just say a little bit about my blanket.
for me i like to do simple crocheting projects,
and this blanket could not be more simpler...


i often wish i was the sort to lay out all the yarn before hand,
and have some clue as to what one is aiming for.
but for me that is never the case,
just as when i sew i rarely know what fabrics will come into play when i begin,
so it is for my crocheting.

for sometime now i have been wishing to make a patchwork blanket,
in my head i saw the large squares, the doilies and the edging
but what i could not see was how i would attach the squares together...
i wished to join them as i went along,
saving me all the joining up at the end, which i'm crappity crap at,
it sends me into a big bad moody person.
i had little clue as to what i was doing when i started out,
but i do believe the handcrafted Gods were smiling down on me.
everything fell into place
as i attached the squares a pretty eyelet pattern appeared
and i think it would be most true to say
i did indeed hug myself with glee.

now my blanket is complete,


i have high hopes that she will become my travelling companion,
she will travel with me to old blighty this summer
and where ever else i may go in the future.
in short i am hopeful, we will grow old together

with all that being said, i will now tell you in words how i made her
but i do have pictures to show the joining up bit...
i can not promise you will be any the wiser after looking at the pictures
and reading my iffy directions,
but as usual, it is what it is and i have done the best i know how.

i used worsted weight yarn,
a mix of acrylic blends i had in my cupboard.
i started my square off with a chain of 30 plus 3
i worked in double crochet US which is treble crochet UK
when i finished my first square i joined in the next color
and continued crocheting, weaving in the ends as i went.
after 5 squares were completed (first strip completed)
i started the next strip, joining the second strip to the first as i went
(see photos below)
i made 4 strips in total of 5 squares
making a blanket of 20 squares total
and measuring around 42" x 48"

for the edging i did a double crochet US stitch in cream
then a row of single crochet US
finishing it off with a simple picot stitch giving it a lovely bobbly trim.


i appliqued on some vintage doilies,
just using simple hand stitching
and voila!
my 'ordinarily extraordinary' blanket was complete.

now for the NITTY GRITTY bit about joining the squares...













i do so hope this has done the trick,
that indeed you are now wiser to how i joined my squares
and not left in a bewildering confused state.
and perhaps you may spend the next month
whilst the World Cup is playing in your living rooms
making your own 'ordinarily extraordinary' blankets with the eyelet join

she is wishing you sunshine and crafting for the weekend ~ Tif
footynote: 'joining up' pictures show my lastest patchwork piece you can see in my hands here.
that is why the colors are little different :)