a challenge and a 'hangy-me-jig'...

i fear i have painted my DOUBTER in rather a poor light.
if indeed he stepped onto the stage right now,
i'm thinking a ripple amongst the crowd may result in some boo-ing...
so please allow me to correct the wrong i have made.
for my DOUBTER is perhaps worthy of way more than a gold sticky star,
he has stuck by my side near on 25 years
and
he does not doubt in any way that buying second hand is a good and proper thing to do,
no sirree!
his doubting ways come into play concerning my rather addictive ways to thrift store shopping,
my continual need to bring in forsaken little souls into our shed,
cluttering up our space,
always exclaiming how each and everyone of my finds will one day look peachy upon the shelves of a store...


today marks the 7 month milestone in my 'challenge of the utmost kind'.
it has been an interesting path for me.
i am without doubt
(and we know how we like 'no doubting')
that my challenge has helped further my creativity within my crafting
and indeed my shed.

i would be lying if i said it has been easy peasy every single day.
some things have been,
i don't actually think about it most days,
buying secondhand and handcrafted has become the norm.
but on occasion, i can tell you i would love nothing more than to walk into a clothing store such as anthropologie,
try on everything and anything,
and be able to purchase just one thing to cheer up my closet.


but then again because i haven't be able to do just that,
i pushed myself to make a 'high hopes' dress.
something i doubt (oooh, there it is creeping in again) i would have attempted without the challenge...

so with that being said i thought i would list to you all the things i have bought for myself new in the past 7 months,
and before you gasp! shocked that indeed i have purchased new,
the majority of what i bought became an ingredient used within handcrafted or rescuing a forsaken soul so it may shine in all its glory

1. three tins of eco paint

2. four sheets of pretty paper for birdie decals on the kitchen nook wall, purchased in China Town whilst visiting Vancouver over spring break

3. five spools of thread for Miss Ethel to do her thing, i bought these last week and they are my first since the challenge began, not bad considering just how much thread her and i go through in a week

4. three yards of new fabric, bought once again last week, so i may attempt a second dress.
being aged 41 i decided most of the fabrics i had with enough yardage in my stash were a little on the twee side for myself.

5. five little birdies


when i found an old lampshade frame i was inspired to make a 'little birdies hangy-me-jig'...
my inspiration came from the lovely Sandra of Yarning and her use of an old lampshade frame.
she truly is a wonderfully talented crafter.
i used my little sprightly spring scraps, along with some lovely vintage kimono fabric my soul sister sent me...
i knew i wished for little birdies upon my hangy-me-jig and so after some pondering, knowing fabric ones would not give me the look i was going for, i bought some.

6. a brass lamp harp for a thrift store lamp

7. a spare part for our broken kitchen tap so i could stop myself going insane

i am most admiring of all the challengers upon my sidebar especially those who have their family included,
it is something that takes a certain amount of willpower, definitely passion and a strong belief in what you are doing.
whatever the reasons they are doing it for
i am delighted they should take this challenge alongside of me...
and also for so many of you out there who choose to do this within your day to day life and have been doing so for many years.
you truly are an inspiration for me
and for that i am thanking you kindly...

she has three wraps made and several more to go ~ Tif