snippets of...

'yarn envy'

that's what i've got and i've got it in the worst way.
i blame a number of things
i blame the examples i see daily of granny squares on flickr
i blame my new found 'embracing' of color
i blame my rubbish stash of sludgy colored yarn
i blame my not rushing out and stocking up before the challenge
and
i blame a little book that lurks inside my cabinet.


for this little book has made me lust like i have never lusted before


for the first few weeks of our living together i kept the book beside my bed, every night i would check on it, carefully looking from page to page, admiring the colors, admiring the styling and above all admiring the colorful yarn


once my challenge began, i had to lock the book away, for it was causing me to think terrible thoughts, to plan, to plot, to deceive, and yes... to dare myself to buy yarn.
"gasp, shock, horror" i hear you cry...
(i'm quite pleased with getting 'horror' in somewhere seeing as it's that time of year)


last saturday i found myself wandering the aisles of the yarn shop, i picked up balls, i hugged them, i played with color combinations, all the time the 'devil' himself upon my shoulder, encouraging me, daring me.

i'm pleased to report, i did not waiver from the path of my handcrafted thrifty challenge, but i did cry... i left empty handed and went home to look at my small pile of colorful acrylic yarn and reflect upon my little book


it would appear dearest readers, that i did the right thing, for not less than two days later i had the 'wonder' of spying some yarn at the thrift store, in creams no less... perfect for yarn balls at christmas. amongst the cream was a turquoise skein that positively made my heart sing.


and as if that wasn't enough to lift my spirits, the very same day, in my inbox was the lovely Ami, telling me she had an abundance of thrifted acrylic yarn in the colors i was craving.
she said she had so much, that perhaps some would like to come and live at mossy shed.
i have no doubt it was 'karma' for shunning the devil and his 'yarn tempting' ways


as i await my little package in the mail, i have set forth to conquer crocheted circles... for some, 'easy peasy' but as i am 'crappity crap' at anything other than squares or rectangles, it is a brave step.
whilst hiding out with my watermelon hair last night, i attempted a circle
and it would appear the 'handcrafted' gods shone down on me.
for my circle stayed a circle...


i could hardly breath, could it truly be i had mastered such a skill.
i started off thinking i'll just do enough to make a 'dot' for a garland, no need to push my luck.
then i thought, "mmm perhaps a coaster",
next my thoughts ventured to a cushion cover,
"dear god Tif" i thought to myself, "how about a circular cover for one of my stools"
in my giddiness the world of 'crocheted circles' was my oyster...
i was riding high with 9 rounds completed.
today however, i'm back to reality, thinking i'll just make a little mat instead, not to get above my 'crocheting stations'...

and so it appears even with my yarn supply being 'upped' i continue to have 'yarn envy' when i glance upon my little book...
thus my need to share 'snippets of it' with you today,


so perhaps you too may share my 'yarn envy'...
and if not, no worries for i know i am not alone in my envying ways,
ah yes, it would appear i have created a 'yarn envying' monster to rival even myself

she is wishing you plenty of 'yarn action' this weekend along with some 'spooky' good times, and will see you on monday ~ Tif
footynote:
isbn # for book is
ISBN978-4-07-262220-9
just incase it makes you lust too :)